Maybe the Wall has some answers.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Roommates!

"Are you asleep?"
"Uh huh."
"I'm hungry."
.
.
.
"I'm hungry."
"Gfndsmfdltmslp."
"What?"
"Go find yourself some food. I want to sleep."
"Aww...I wanted some Maggi."
"Good. We haven't any. Go look for some. You can borrow my saucepan."
"Do you think he'll reply to my email?"
"Who will?"
"Priya! Please!"
"How am I to know? Ask him."
"I can't. We've had a fight."
"Hmm."
"What time do you plan to wake up tomorrow?"
"Six. Six-thirty, at the latest. If you let me sleep, that is."
"Wake me up too, please. I have a paper I need to finish."
Silence.
"I said, wake me up."
"Right."
"Why doesn't he call me back?"
"Tell you what, give me his number. I'll talk to him and tell you why."
"You're doing nothing of the sort!"
" 'night, then."
"Can I switch the light on?"
"You won't if I ask you not to?"
"Did I tell you what D did today? She..."
"No!"
"But I can't sleep!"
"Well, I want to."
"Maybe I should begin that paper now."
"Good idea."
"Do you have anything I can eat?"
"Do you think I do?"
"Will you cook Maggi if I find some? Please, please! I hate standing out there in the cold."
"G, I'm not even hungry."
"You're mean."
"You're annoying."
"I'm not."
"Oh yes you are."
"I said I'm not."
"Of course you are."
"Well, I'm off to sleep. Good night."

Huh?? Good night?
And insomnia changes places.

8 comments:

Absolute Chemystic said...

I louwe this post !;) it describes roomie life in a nutshell. Incidentally, all my best friends have been my flatmates(current and ex). Forced Intimacy does do some good.

Crossworder said...

Couldn't agree with you more on that bit about forced intimacy...there's something to be said for hostel/PG/flat life. I'm always at a loose end post-10 pm when I'm home for the vacations :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

ya ! a part of me misses india a lot, coz I haven't been there since the last one and a half yrs. ha ha these days even the setting sun reminds me of home. but theres this other part of me, that fears how bored I am going to be at home after all the initial drama you know. I do have friends and family, but my independent self holds me back - the part of me that does what ever it wants, when ever it wants. its as if, i have got so used to not being taken care of, that it feels weird to have people fussing over you beyond a certain point. I am goin home in december - and I am pretty sure, I am not goin to want to come back here. See how ambiguous it is !

Crossworder said...

I think I know what you mean when you say it's ambiguous...and I know you understand, too, when I say I agree with you - and that's something that doesn't quite happen with my day scholar friends...they tend to think of life away from home as either perfection, or an impossibility. It's only those who've been in the grey area in between who get that there IS a grey area! In hindsight, though, I'm glad I had to come awy from home when I did...it helped me grow up.

Absolute Chemystic said...

ya i think the best part of being "indian" is that even if you spend most of your "formative" years away from home, (within reasonable limits ofcourse), you still continue to feel that close association with the family/culture. unlike many other delegations, where you get cut off completely, if you dont remain in your country for those formative years that make the person you are.

Crossworder said...

True...maybe there's something, after all, in all those descriptions of India as an entity which absorbs everything she comes across without ever losing her own identity. Maybe all of us, as Indians, are like that too :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

Or may be, she soaks it up so well, that you donot even notice it ! ;)

Crossworder said...

In either case, there's a bit of both in her. It's kinda nice :)