Maybe the Wall has some answers.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Wistfulness



In all these years away from home, I have learnt to handle practically everything on my own. Everything - bad food, homesickness, illness without having someone to fuss over me, devastating grades, heartbreak, loneliness, bhang-induced highs on Holi, packing and unpacking - and practically moving house - twice a year, doing my own laundry (and learning, the hard way, that whites and pastels are best not bought), living on a budget, cooking my own meals, fretting over my decisions or patting myself on the back for them. It hasn't all been uphill, though...I've celebrated my proficiency at changing light bulbs, my confirmation after six endless months of probation, danced in joy over an assignment that fetched a 23.5 on 25, dealt with the impact of vague crushes, grinned like a maniac at my phone when Citibank sent me their first text, informing me that my salary had been credited to my account, felt superhuman after having negotiated three peak traffic hours to get home, revelled in the bliss of travelling alone and being officially incommunicado, been trusted with responsibilities and (heh heh :) secrets, and learnt how to tie a saree, not to mention some micro, macro and development economics, and human resource management, all by myself.

And you know what, it's tough to deal with a rough patch alone...but it's tougher still to have something to celebrate and have the people you most want to share it with, not around. I've managed both - all said and done - with decent aplomb. Oh, give and take a few inexplicable-to-the-world blue moods or hyper-excited happy dances.

But the one thing I'm still not used to is having to be away from home and family on festivals. In six years now, I haven't celebrated Holi, Diwali, the Pujas or New Year's Eve with them. And much as I am capable of handling everything else, this one thing still leaves me a little wistful. A phone call - or several - is not much of a substitute. That is not to say I haven't had some very memorable celebrations with friends in College and at work. I'd be supremely ungrateful if I said I didn't have fun and stow away some beautiful memories. Yeah, now that those friends are far away, too, the memories just get more intense and the festivals just a tad more lonesome :) I was brought up in the sort of family where Friday evenings and Sunday mornings and afternoons were earmarked for something special. Simple, but special. Holidays meant time with the extended family. Dinner time was for conversation and laughter...and festivals meant celebration. Small rituals - spring cleaning, food particular to the occasion, having the gulal or crackers ready, planning the drive around the colony - went into the making of beautiful Holis, Diwalis and Dussehras. And if something like that has been part of your life for as long as you can remember, it's part of who you are.

Which is why I still give my room an especially thorough cleaning before a festival. Also why I make it a point to go shopping for garlands, diyas and sweets, and then spend a couple of hours doing up my room. It's why I stand in the balcony and watch families celebrating, and thank my lucky stars for having had the chance to know what that kind of celebration is like. It is also why, in spite of the nostalgia and the homesickness, I know I will enjoy the festival and be happy and thankful, because that is what festivals are all about.

Diwali is around the corner, so it is time my room got that spring cleaning I was talking about. And there is something so eternally beautiful about a lit diya, it is hard to put into words. It's my favourite festival ritual - lighting diyas. So here's thanking all of you - family and friends - who have given me reasons to feel festive...and here's thanking you, God, for the aforementioned family and friends! Happy Diwali, everyone...and have a beautiful year ahead! :) :)

27 comments:

Absolute Chemystic said...

atleast you are in the same country.. you see others celebrate and in your mind, become a part of it, on the other hand, in newyork its pouring cats and dogs, so its gloomy, windy and chill. but heyy i think you gave me a brilliant idea, am gonna buy diyas (Actually candles coz tats wat you get here, lame na!;) and light my apartment. Have to ask my flatmates to be super super careful while walkin around though !

Absolute Chemystic said...

ooo i think i will get diyas back from india this time, i am happy again +glee+

Crossworder said...

Great idea...Buy lots of diyas when you're home...I spent 300 bucks on earthen diyas alone this Diwali...went a little crazy. And who says candles are lame...they are equally pretty :) :) Have a great Diwali - not even New York rain should be able to spoil it for an Indian! :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

yes the indian shall strive to Not be dampened by the newyork rains ! :P

Sometimes those social networking sites have done me good, I have managed to get back in touch with old friends, but, they still cannot make you remain in touch.. I dont think any site can make you do that.
Human relationships always perplex me. I managed to have meaningful (to me) conversations with you, but to convey the same point to a friend I might have known for over five years, seems futile. This is definitely not a blame-game, but I feel like there are many parts of me, and each part sees a friend in different people. I wish I could say I am multi-faceted, but that line sounds much better in my sop, so I shall reserve it for jus that !! :D

Absolute Chemystic said...

btw you definitely are a late-nighter, arent you? :)

Crossworder said...

But that is such a great thing - to have different parts of yourself identify different sorts of friends in different people...sometimes I feel, every time you think you've found someone like yourself, you've just (re)discovered another side to your own nature or personality...that exercise in self-discovery can turn out rather amusing, scary or reassuring...depending on who or what you've found!
The funny thing with orkut/facebook and me is, while I have all the people I know on my lists there, the ones I actually talk to (or want to talk to ;), I keep in touch in other ways with. It wasn't something I had planned...but, looking back on these past few years, I'm not surprised it happened this way either.

Light lots of those candles!:) And yours truly has an absolutely flexible (read: messed up) body clock...sleeps whenever (read: in class) and is up and about at the oddest hours! :D

Absolute Chemystic said...

haha lucky you !

well am gonna be up late, I have this damn journal club tomorrow. I think I need a caffeine drip. We have this diwali pot luck tomorrow, with a few indians, and I was just thinking about what I would make - suddenly remined me of my mom, and all the diwalis we had, when it was Her job to decide the menu and all that I had to do was binge !;) Between that and now, how did all this growing up happen !?

Crossworder said...

Have a mug of coffee with grated chocolate on top...or a cup of hot chocolate with coffee sprinkled over it...yum! I just had breakfast, and look at me! What do you plan to take for the pot luck?(food interests me at any distance and in any time zone :P :) I completely identify with that last question you asked...but worry not, when we get home again we'll be back to being someone's little girls! :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

haha am glad you understand :)
i am on a diet, but i am always on a diet, so to hell with tat ! the coffee with chocolate sounds so dishy my mouth's already watering.. for tomorrow, i think i will make chole, but it sounds a bit drab to me.. i was thinkin of pav bhaji but tats too much work. (I can now totally imagine what a tough time my mom must have had !)
i think i will make chole with mutter pulav, ha!
i actually wanna make some dessert, like chocolate mousse, but i just made it last night, and ate it all by myself coz my flat mate wasnt in a chocolaty mood !
and this horizontal growth of mine needs to be taken seriously now, coz am visiting home in two months and cant afford to shock my parents into NOT over-feeding me ! :D
whats your current favorite eat ?

Crossworder said...

Ok, now I wish I was flatmates with you. You sound just like my kind of flatmate! :D My current favourite eat...let's see...it's actually easier for me to name stuff I *don't* like (it's a shorter list)...but I've been craving Mom's rajma-chawal and Nani's phirni for REALLY long now!

Oh god, I am hungry again!
Hope you had a good Diwali, btw :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

haha i have had the worst and the best flatmates, but none of them blogged, so you would be an interesting try :D i made chole..diwali was actually better than i thought it wud be, thanks to my desi friends here :)
what did you do?

Crossworder said...

Well, the hostel threw me out, so it was the local guardians' for me! Relatives, mithai, new clothes, kids running around the place...nice! :) Glad you had a good Diwali...I told you there was no way the rains could spoil it for an Indian!

Absolute Chemystic said...

ya true, although its great to be with relatives for diwali :) esp the amount of yummy food you get !;)
have you read any of jodi picoult's books ?

Crossworder said...

No...but thanks for the idea. It's well-timed, because I amassed a small fortune touching the elders' feet for blessings this Diwali, and was going to head to the bookstore as soon as I got back anyway :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

oh I asked because I havent read any yet, and I keep reading reviews of her books..I saw My sisters keeper, but the movie is hardly a reflection of the book. I was just wondering if you had read any of hers or what you thought of it..I am just very reluctant to read fiction, coz these days, one really needs to sift through so much crap to get to real good fiction.
Oh and I generally wait to recommend books, until I get to know the person well, just because I love reading books, and its not something I would just randomly suggest non-chalantly you know? Its weird but I find books kind of personal, coz I believe that the kind of books you really like or read, in some ways reflect the kind of person you are :)
Ok my comments just keep getting longer and longer.. no wonder I dont feel the need to blog these days !!

Crossworder said...

One hundred per cent with you on the bit about waiting to recommend books and the idea that taste in books reflects on the person...I will still thank you for bringing up a new name to look out for when browsing at Statesman House! Maybe if the blurb looks interesting, or if I find something when I am thumbing through the book, I will find use for my little fortune :) That's what caused the happy squeal in the last reply (ok, you didn't hear the squeal all those miles away :D) Why should length be an issue in comments? The posts where we've ended up 'talking' like this seem like a richer, fuller read now. I've gone back to them more frequently than to the others in the last couple of months :) :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

haha am glad I feel the same :)
apparently the book shes applauded for is the "songs of the humpback whale"... i simply like the title, although I am very hesitant to just buy it. for the past few days, I have been in a very Ruskin Bond mood.. weird isnt it?! just like that all of sudden! And I wanna read the same books, like Time stops at shamli, I lovee that book..theres this inner sense of satisfaction that you get from sittin in bed at night reading your favourite book, with a cup of tea by the side. And I dont have this book now, I borrowed it from one of those used book libraries in chennai and fell it love with it and walked away :D hehehe +pun intended+ :D

Crossworder said...

Touche! (I've *got* to figure out how to put that accent on the 'e' when I need it!)

That's a coincidence, though...I grew up on Ruskin Bond, among others...my sister and I loved his books! He contributed to the kids' section of The Telegraph every Thursday for some 3 years...I stashed away all the cuttings :) Shamli, Koki, Rusty... :) Now I'm getting sentimental for them! Reading is good anytime, anywhere...one of my personal favorite settings is the upper berth on the 24-hour train journey home...the Metro is another - when humanity and its idiosyncrasies don't have my attention hooked, that is. :D

Absolute Chemystic said...

Ya thats one of the reasons I love train travel in India - that easly morning coffee, the hot doaas in banana leaf, all those little snacks that turn into huge treats, jus coz you buy them in the train :) Its been so long since I have been in a train. Oh ya chacha chaudhry, how can I forget him !!

Crossworder said...

*Jab Sabu ko gussa aata hai, toh Jupiter pe jwalamukhi phoot-ta hai*

*Chacha Chaudhary ka dimaag computer se bhi tez chalta hai*

:D

Absolute Chemystic said...

chacha chaudhry toh desi robin hood hain :D

Absolute Chemystic said...

am glad blogspot doesnt have an upper limnit on the no. of comments per posts :P

Crossworder said...

:)Same here! Also, we seem to have covered an incredible number and range of topics in our conversation quite effortlessly - Diwali to home to food to books to Chacha Chaudhary :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

i know! i wish it were just as easy, with everyone ! :)

Crossworder said...

Same here! (I just realised I say that a lot when I'm talking to you...can't help it, that's how it feels! :)

Absolute Chemystic said...

hehe its mutual :) i wud love to gchat but theres a part of me thats holding back, afraid that it might not be as easy as it is with comments. But worth a shot, my email id is sharanya.rajagopal@gmail.com. its totally your call :)

Crossworder said...

In that case, I'm taking a call and sending you an invite. Like you said, it's worth a shot. But I'm hoping to keep seeing you on blogger either way :)