Maybe the Wall has some answers.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Genda Phool!

I think this track deserves a post to itself.
From surprise to dubious trials to bemusement (is that a word??) to helpless laughter to appreciation of the expert melding of genres to reflexive jigging and foot-tapping to finding it, one fine day, on my '25 Most Played' list, I've had one hell of a trip with Genda Phool. I find it as incredible as hilarious that, at one point long, long ago, I thought this song wasn't exactly worth an opinion. It is an interesting track alright, but also endearingly funny, even absurd, at places. That nasal oye hoye hoye - a very clever prelude and interlude - is surpassed only by the hip hop rhythm that barges in where you thought it least belonged, before proceeding to make itself right at home with the folk song from Chhattisgarh. Makes you wonder why no-one ever thought of this before. And like all things nice, this one's also short and sweet. I don't know the first thing about the nuances of classical or folk music or hip hop, but here's a big thumbs up to Genda Phool from a layperson bopping merrily to the music!

No comments: